The Kuehn Family

Jourdan and I met in college through a mutual friend in 2001. We were engaged in 2005 and married on February 24, 2007. On September 7, 2009 we welcomed our daughter, Kayleigh. We had lived in the San Antonio/New Braunfels area since 2002 and now we are living in the Frisco area. We are very blessed.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Blankee!

If you have been around me lately, you have probably heard me complain about K having to start school in one week! Already? I know she will love it, but I have this horrible vision of her being scared and alone at school crying. But I digress. We have been getting things ready for school, and my mom had gotten her an awesome nap mat for nap time. K loves it and always wants to get out her 'map-map'. I found out that since the school has cots already, she can't have the nap mat but she can use a blanket. (The nap mat will be great once she can get into our employee childcare at work because she will need it then). So, I decided that I wanted to make K a photo-quilt of all her favorite things and people to take with her to daycare. I have minimal sewing skills (i.e. I can sew a semi-straight line on a sewing machine). But, I made it a simple design and I think it turned out pretty cute. I have a new respect for quilters, there was a lot of math involved. The photo fabric was 8 1/2 by 11 and the squares I was quilting with were 6 inches. I wanted to get 2 photos out of each page of the photo fabric. This would mean I could have no bigger than 5 inch squares. So, I had to add an inch strip of minky dot around the photos to make them 6 inch squares. By the time you factor that in and the 1/4 inch seam allowance, that is some serious math. :)  I used minky-dot fabric on the back, which is K's favorite because it's soft. I had to include her favorite people: Mommy and Daddy, both sets of grandparents, Her BFF Anna (Annie is what she calls her), the Zoeller's, and her doggies. I also stuck pictures of her favorite toys/shows: Little Einsteins, Bubble Guppies, Mickey Mouse, Elmo, and Wonder Pets.

K checking it out after I finished.


Here it is. It's puffy so it's hard to lay it flat to get a good shot.

Let's see, mom. Yep. This will work just fine.
Checking it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment