So, here goes- let me just Tarantino this story for you and tell you that it ends with me throwing up. A lot! So if you have a weak stomach, I'd advise you to move along.
It all starts this past Saturday. We were up all night with K throwing up. I expected this since she just started daycare two weeks ago. I asked Jourdan if he could stay home with her Monday since she still wasn’t herself- there was NO WAY I’d miss the first day. So Monday comes, I get up and I’m ready! I had gotten everything ready the Friday before so I didn’t even have to think about school till Monday. We were off an rolling, then about 9 o’clock the nausea sets in. I know Jourdan is at home, so I email him and ask him to bring me some nausea meds we had left over from when we all got the stomach bug over the Christmas break when we came house hunting in Dallas- this place is cursed! He said of course and was going to meet me at 11 for my lunch time.
Around 10:30, I’m explaining what Reading Workstations should Look like and sound like. I’ve got my T-Chart all illustrated and it hits me- I’m going to throw up. I grab the nearest stack of notebook paper, toss it at a student and say “pass this out, write about what you did this summer” and book it down the hall. Our classrooms are all around a large open lab so there are computer aides at the desks outside most day. I holler at one of them, whom I barely know, if they can watch my class. It was those precious seconds that I should never have wasted.
I’m literally running down the hall- 10 steps from the teacher bathroom- and up it comes. A word to the wise- DO NOT TRY AND COVER YOUR MOUTH- this will cause it all to deflect back IN YOUR FACE. Once I realize my plan of ‘catching’ it wasn’t working, I let loose. Once I can breathe again I look up and see a second grader en route to the bathroom who is looking at me like I just killed someone- I’m pretty sure I scarred her for life! All I could say was “It’s okay sweetheart, just go to class”. Then I realize , I need to throw up again. I run the last 10 steps, barf in the bathroom, then attempt to compose myself. I look in the mirror and it is ALL OVER ME! On my shirt (which was dark so it really showed up nicely), my pants, EVEN IN MY HAIR! So here I am, not even halfway done with my first day of school, I threw up all over the hall, I’m covered in it and I don’t know anyone. I can’t go back in my class because my kids will freak, plus I’m absolutely filthy. Luckily the computer aides were still outside, they called the nurse, who got me a change of clothes and the secretary called me a sub. ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! It was awful, how embarrassing, and what a way to make a first impression. I had to call in Tuesday too because I was still throwing up and had a fever. Anyway, SO, that’s how my first day was. Fun fun! It could always be worse! But, please say I win the award for worst-first-day ever!
Meanwhile, Monday night we ended up having to take K to the hospital because her doctor was afraid she was dehydrated as she had another round of vomiting/diarrhea and was refusing to eat or drink since she her tummy was hurting. She was really good at the ER considering. Jourdan and I were both miserably sick trying to keep it together. They didn't have to give her an IV, thank goodness. They have her nausea meds and then had her drink. When the doctor was done, she said goodbye and Kayleigh says back to her "Bye, Mickey Mouse!" Both Jourdan and I looked at each other like, okay, she's hallucinating! The doctor pointed to her ID Badge which had a Mickey sticker on it. Hahah! Even at 3am she doesn't miss much. We are so glad to finally be getting back to normal now.
Now for some funny comments that have come as a result of this mess....
People asked me if I was embarrassed to go back to work. The answer is no, not really. I think childbirth takes what little modesty you have left. Plus, what can you do? Hah....
I was talking with a new coworker, an older lady, who when she found out I threw up said "Oh, were you just nervous?" This made me laugh really hard....especially if you know me... :)
So that's it folks..... Let's hope the 2nd week goes better....
Sweet K on her first trip to the ER
Oh, so sad!! We have a similar picture of Ally getting hydrated about that age. I've thrown up at work before...not fun. Not fun at all.
ReplyDeleteLove you!!
my worst fear realized. and yes- you win, my friend :) did anyone ask if you were pregnant? that seems to be the comment I get anytime I'm not feeling well.
ReplyDelete